Using Video Reference

Since buying my first digital camera, I've relied on my own photo reference for drawing.

What I accidentally discovered while studying the bones is that video reference is just as good, if not better than photo reference.

Per Robert Beverly Hale's suggestion, and as I go through the Stan Prokopenko artistic anatomy curriculum, I'm drawing the bones from every angle in the hope of being able to draw them from memory.

When commuting to work, I've discovered that having a video on my phone of the bone rotating 360° allows me to pause at every angle and analyze the position for drawing. I can scrub back and force and get an accurate idea of how the bone's shape changes and the point of view changes. Here's a recent video I made of a scapula from which I draw while riding the bus:


Consider shooting or finding videos of the bones to help in understanding their intricacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment