Watercolor Painting for Valentine's Day


I'm trying to do more work with color and painting. Due to time constraints, I have to ease into it. I thought the best way to do that is to make paintings for the holidays and special occasions throughout the year. I missed New Year's Day and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day but I was ready for Valentine's Day! 

Over the years, I've purchased EVERY type of water-soluble paint in existence… 


So many paints!

…watercolor tubes, watercolor pans, watercolor pencils, watercolor liquids, gouache, acrylics and poster colors. Phew! 


And I have used almost NONE of them. 😬 Oopsie! 

But that's ALL changing in 2020! I've got my jars and brushes ready to start painting! I'm starting with watercolor and will eventually tackle the other media. I'm especially curious about the poster colors since that's the paint used in those gorgeous anime background painting.

I had several of these large watercolor pads originally to paint the backgrounds for my Universe of Trouble project:


Watercolor pad

These practice paintings were done on the paper above:
Practice painting

Then I used these blank, watercolor paper greeting cards to do the final (these were on backorder so I guess they're popular):




I had tried cutting and folding the pad paper to make cards but the fold was never clean. So it made sense to get paper that was already made to be folding cards.

This card's design was modest due to, again, time but it's also a first start. I'm happy with the results and so was my valentine!❤️

The next post will be a watercolor painting for Presidents Day. 

If you like this post and blog, click the blue "Follow" button on the right to become a Follower! And leave a comment below. I respond to all comments.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment