Moebius's "Arzach" Animated—Page 2, Panel 3

Original panel three, page two of "Arzach."

I started this project by animating the Arzach splash page.

Then I animated the first panel on the second page.

Then the second panel on the second page.

Then things got a little tricky. Doing the top row of panels was straightforward:


Top panels, page two of "Arzach."

But continuing with the individual-panel-reveal approach with which I had started meant removing the top panels from the camera frame while revealing only the bottom panels:

Bottom panels, page two of "Arzach."

Once this was determined, I made a new Composition in my After Effects file. The current Composition had the animation from the page one splash page and the first two panels from page two. There were many layers and a lot happening. Putting the next panels in a new Composition would be helpful in preventing confusion.

In Photoshop, I made a layer of the panel frame, separated Arzach from the background rocks, recreated the hatching in the rocks, separated the guy at the top of the rocks and the sky.

In After Effects, the panel frame, Arzach and his cape, the guy and the sky were animated:



This came out as I had hoped, mirroring the placement on the page of the actual book. 

Next, panels four and five to complete the page.

If you like this post and blog, click the blue "Follow" button on the right to become a Follower! And leave a comment below. I respond to all comments.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: