Designing a Logo–Step 7: The Project Takes a Questionable Turn


The first step of designing a logo was research.

The second step was word associations to brainstorm ideas.

The third step was thumbnail sketches.

The fourth step was designs in black and white.

The fifth step was designs in black and white feedback and revisions.

The sixth step was designs in black and white feedback and revisions part 2.

At this point I was pleased with my work, the way it was being received and the overall relationship with the client. 

But then…the client responded to the second revisions…and things took a turn.

The client showed the designs to other people who expressed reservations. First concern: since many of their congregants work for the Target company, they felt that the labyrinthine logo looked too much like a target.

Hmm…same shape and feel but sufficiently different, yes?

Second concern: the client was put in the uncomfortable position of having to explain the significance of the two logo designs. The client was questioned as to what the designs had to do with the concept of “Living the Love of Christ."

They therefore concluded that they needed to "change direction" (oh. crap.) and make the words “Living the Love of Christ" the basis of the logo.

The client thoughtfully explained what they had in mind for the new direction and included visual references.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy…


…because what they were asking went against everything I had learned and believed about logo design. They were confusing the purpose of a logo with that of a tagline.

I wisely took two days to respond and collect my thoughts. I came up with the most professional yet direct phrasing I could think of. My response was:
My concern is that the purpose of the logo is being misunderstood. A logo is meant to be a simple suggestion or indication that identifies. Its function is not, however, to describe or explain…
Therefore I will not be able to design a new logo based on the direction you want to go. If, however, you and your team see further ways for the current ideas to be adjusted, I can accommodate those changes. Of course I will understand if you decide to proceed with another designer.
Thanks for the opportunity to work with you, it’s been fun!
It's important to note that I was completely willing to walk away from this paying freelance opportunity, an opportunity I got from a former high school classmate!

But I saw that going in the direction they wanted would turn into a hellscape for me trying to accommodate what I felt to be a misguided vision. Nothing good would come out of this for me is I continued.

In the next installment, I'll explain how the client received my response and how we proceeded.

If you like this post and blog, click the blue "Follow" button on the right to become a Follower! And leave a comment below. I respond to all comments.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment