Grateful Furlough Friday—Obliques Anatomical Studies


Due to the pandemic, this was my first week furloughed from my job of 16 years.

I didn't panic. I didn't worry. I have leave time, some savings, a home, food and most importantly, my health.

So I made a conscious decision to make the most of this time.

I'm doubling down on my anatomy instruction! 

I talked before about how I've been trying to learn artistic anatomy for…oh…TWENTY-SIX YEARS!

ARGH!!!!

Over the last 10-15 years, I've accumulated lots of anatomy instruction with the most comprehensive being Stan Prokopenko's course. If you want to learn artistic anatomy, Proko's course might be your best choice (and he's extended his trial period for his courses.)

But what I've always lacked was the time to dedicate to the course. For me it required extended periods to focus on the doing the lessons and those periods never seemed to materialize. As a result, I've rushed through some of the course and didn't see results.

That changed this week when I found myself with LOTS of time. I'm dedicating the time that I've always wanted to dedicate to drawing and seeing great results! Now, when I say great results, I mean me drawing better than I have in the past. I don't mean I draw great. I still have a lot of mistakes and a lot to learn. But these drawings show the difference between now and 2 years ago:


These drawings are of the same pose and were done almost exactly 2 years to the day apart. On the left I was guessing where bones and muscles are placed and on the right I have a better idea of where things go.

It's amazing what you can accomplish with some focus!




If you like this post and blog, click the blue "Follow" button on the right to become a Follower! And leave a comment below. I respond to all comments.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment