Austin Kleon's "Keep Going"


I can't BELIEVE I just now learned of this book!

And discovering it at this time, while the world is overwhelmed with battling COVID-19, is truly a gift.

Kleon's book was published in 2019. As he says at his website: "The world is crazy. Creative work is hard. How do you keep going?"

I've never before needed to hear these words as much as I do now. After just 4 days of working from home due to the virus, I got a call from my employer's HR guy on Saturday telling me that the company was putting me on furlough. The news was initially surprising…then it wasn't. My work is half marketing and half design and there was little need for either of these at this time despite my supervisor saying otherwise.

Suddenly, I saw an opportunity. I could finally do what I've been dreaming of doing for the last 10 years: focus ALL of my time on creating art!

Admittedly, I'm in a non-scary financial situation, at least for a few months, so I don't have to worry about rent and food. That frees up ALL of my psychic energy on creating.

But it's still a struggle to stay focused in these crazy times that just got crazier. And Kleon's book does an amazing job of helping to reset your brain and get you focused on creating.

I consider the discovery of this book now, at this particular time in history and in my life, as a HUGE example of synchronicity. The Universe wanted me to read this book now. I listened to what The Universe said and read, annotated and took notes from the book in one multi-hour reading. Going forward this book will be the last thing I read before going to bed and the first thing I read in the morning.

Yes, it's that important.

If you're a creative person and you're struggling to stay focused or are questioning your creative choices, this book is a must-read.

If you like this post and blog, click the blue "Follow" button on the right to become a Follower! And leave a comment below. I respond to all comments.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment