Prepping to Pitch an Animated TV Series

Walt Disney in front of a storyboard

OK, yes, I know, I SAID I was going to focus ALL of my attention on skills improvement, specifically learning human anatomy.

But…I may have a way of satisfying that nagging feeling of wanting to develop ideas AND to make some money.

So I’m thinking about PITCHING!



I have about three solid ideas (and many more less solid ones) that I’ve thought about pitching to studios.

Now I’ve heard mixed messages about pitching. One of the cons of pitching is that you’re appealing to an executive as opposed to appealing directly to the public. Pitching means you have to please a gatekeeper which runs completely counter to our DIY attitude!



I’ll admit, my goal for pitching is this: I want to buy time. If I can sell one or several ideas, it will most likely give me enough money to quit my day job. Quitting my day job means spending the most productive 8 hours per day on PROJECTS instead of on a meaningless, dead end job.

Tonight I’m attending a Women in Animation (WIA) event featuring Fred Seibert, the creator of Frederator Networks and Frederator Studios. He’s had positions at MTV and Hanna-Barbera. He’s made a significant contribution to the revitalization of the animated tv short.


It’s a huge opportunity to meet him and I hope to get the chance to ask about the types of pitches his company is looking for. Any insights and tips he can give would be hugely beneficial as I create my pitch ideas.

Is anyone else coming up with ideas to pitch as a tv series? Leave a comment! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment