Shoutout Sunday: Janet Perlman

I'm back to blogging and I wanted to return to recognizing those who have inspired me and helped me improve my skills and work. 

Animator and illustrator Janet Perlman
In the 1980's, there were several animation short film festivals that would come to NYC theaters. Those was my introduction to the wonderful world of indie, short animation storytelling. Together with Bugs Bunny, I was inspired and decided that I wanted to spend my life making animated short films. 

Public television and early cable tv were also sources of animated shorts and that was my introduction to the wonderful work of Janet Perlman, the topic of today's Shoutout Sunday.

Perlman is a Canadian animator and illustrator who has made numerous short films and children's books, many in conjunction with the National Film Board of Canada and has taught at several schools.

I still recall seeing Perlman's "Lady Fishbourne's Complete Guide to Better Table Manners" sometime in the 1980's on public television and was mesmerized by its drawing style and its humor. I was also excited to see a film with a woman's name as the animator/director. "Women animate, too!" I remember thinking. Such an inspiration!

A scene from Perlman's "Lady Fishbourne's Complete Guide to Better Table Manners."

Perlman was nominated for an Academy Award in 1982 for "The Tender Tale of Cinderella Penguin" and has won 60 other awards. 




Go to Perlman's website and watch her films. You'll be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment