Art instruction books—1 down!

Completed studying and copying the head section from Andrew Loomis's "Drawing the Head & Hands" (I'm doing something I don't normally do. The link for the Loomis book is for a full download of the book. All of Loomis's other books are also available from that site, just do a search. The rumor is that Loomis's family is uninterested in putting the books back into print, that there's an issue with the 'nudity' of some of his drawings. I don't know if that's true but if it is, it's a shame, his lessons are invaluable. In any case, enjoy the link.) My goal was to complete this by the end of the month so I'm particularly proud of myself for finishing it eight days early.

I thought it best to start with and concentrate on the head. So much of my next film involves the characters's faces and expressions that I wanted to become better at drawing them. Not to mention being able to turn the head properly and have all of the features be where they're supposed to be!

Now I'm on to Burne Hogarth's "Drawing the Human Head" and the head section of George Bridgman's "Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life." I predict getting through Hogarth quickly since I've studied it before. Bridgman…I don't know. I bought the book a decade ago but found his approach took complicated for my taste. But I'll give it another look. At the least, there might be one small nugget of information that could revolutionize how I see and draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment